Sunday, September 14, 2014

Like riding a bike

It amazes me how the struggling student struggles because they just sit there and don't try.  In their heads they may even think they are trying but from my perspective it is such a predicter of failure.  When I see a student sit there and not copy down an example of how to do a problem, I know that student has done nothing to learn.  When I encourage the student to follow directions and do the problem or at least copy down how to do it, they sometimes tell me they don't understand and that is why they aren't doing anything.
You don't learn to ride a bike by sitting there and watching others ride a bike.  You have to get both of your feet off the ground and peddle.
Often, the struggling student makes sure to work slow enough to never do the problem.  They walk along side their bike and never throw a leg over it and jump on.
I challenged my struggling students with this analogy.  I desperately want each of them to believe they can learn and want to learn.  Then they each need to follow directions and try the problems.  At a minimum, this means copy down the correct work.  Similar problems are given and with meaningful and successful effort the learning will occur.  I am praying that God will help me reach all of my students.


2 comments:

  1. It is so encouraging to see how !much you really care about each student and how far you go to reach them and help them learn. What a great parallel about the patience and great lengths our Father will go to reach and help us, and He never gives up on us. I am excited for the success of your class and will pray for the continued growth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so encouraging to see how !much you really care about each student and how far you go to reach them and help them learn. What a great parallel about the patience and great lengths our Father will go to reach and help us, and He never gives up on us. I am excited for the success of your class and will pray for the continued growth!

    ReplyDelete