Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Consistent dominant and clutch

I've decided that I will commit to writing at least 200 days in a row and I will be posting graphics from my 4 posters in my room in the next week or so.  I still have some editing to do on them.  I have been writing in general terms so far about what I do, but now I get to write in specific terms and I'm excited!

Last night I watched the Seahawks give the Saints a public spanking.  It was awesome to watch them dominate the entire game.  After the game I watched the post game highlights, analysis, interviews and it was so nice to revel in the victory.  I was listening to Russell Wilson's interview when Ray Lewis said he heard Russell use 3 words and they were Consistency, Dominate and Clutch.  Russell went on to explain that these were his goals he had made after last season.  He wanted to focus on the details and work hard to improve every day on them so that he could be more and more consistent.  He didn't just want to play, but he wanted to work hard and improve so that he could dominate.

Finally, he wanted to work hard, improve and practice with intensity every practice so that when it came to big games he would perform his best.  He wanted to be Clutch.  I sat there blown away.  He was saying the same kind of things I say to my students.  I teach 3 classes of Algebra 1 Lab.  Most of these students have a long history of struggling in math.  I have to teach them: how to learn the math; how to work to get it right consistently after they have learned the math; how to want to and believe that they can learn the math and how to solve problems using the math skills.

I talked today to my students about what Russell said and how it relates to them and life.

Consistency...paying attention to detail, working hard to improve every day.
Dominate...not just wanting to play, but working hard to be able to dominate.
Clutch...working hard with intensity to be able to perform well in the big games.

Are you kidding me.  Believe you can learn.  Want to learn.  Commit to learn.  Set high goals.  Practice with intensity.  Pay attention to detail every day so when the test comes along, you will be ready for it and excited to take it.  Live like you believe what you say you believe.

I told them to pretend that they each had several $100 bills on them and I had about $30,000 on me.  Every time one of them got a question wrong, they had to give me a $100 bill and every time they got a question right, I had to give them a $100 bill.  How would that affect there behavior and effort?  Successful students act like that is happening.  Successful students act like Russell Wilson in the class room.  Every one of them can be successful students.  Be willing to change.  Let your desire to achieve impact how you behave.

This was the talk I gave my classes today.

Day 3

1 comment:

  1. These are great principles to apply to any situation in life, whether in a job, in relationships, or in worship. Glad to hear that you are teaching these principles to kids now so they can apply them throughout life's challenges. Great post!

    ReplyDelete