Monday, December 2, 2013

My four part approach to teaching kids how to learn

When I started teaching math in 1987, I focused on simply teaching math only.  My experience with Stanley changed my approach to teaching.  I have come to the place of trying to teach my students math using a 4 prong approach.

I now realize that I also need to teach my students how to learn.  I need to teach my students Learning Skills. I have them listed in my room at the front of the class on a poster.  The list keeps growing.  I keep learning more skills my students need.  I will give my current list in a later post and some strategies I use to teach them.

The second area I've realized that I need to teach my students is Behaviors of Intelligence.  These are also called The Habits of Mind.  These are from Lee Canter.  I took a video course on this years ago and have had the poster in my room for years.  I can teach my students the math but without these Behaviors of Intelligence, there is a big gap between what my students know and what they show on their tests.  I believe that this gap shrinks as my students develop and put into practice more and more of these habits. These habits are listed on a poster in the front of my room also and I am continually pointing out the different behaviors they should be using in different situations.  Again, I will list and discuss these in a later post.

The third area I've realized that I need to focus on and intentionally address is what I call the Heart and Head.  Stanley challenged me here 3 years ago.  I learned a lot through that experience with him and other students.  Yes, you guessed it.  I have my list of sayings, strategies and talking points on a poster in the front of my room and routinely use it to remind me to teach, motivate, challenge, encourage, empower, remove barriers and enable all of my students to learn, change and grow.  I simply can't teach expecting all of my students to be in the place of being ready and able to learn.  I need to intentionally do all I can to help all of my students get to the place of being able to learn everyday.  You probably know what I am going to say next....yes!  This will be another talking point in a future post.

The last approach I use to teach my students math is Problem Solving.  I have a list of Problem Solving strategies at the front of my class also and am continually pointing them out to my students as we attack and solve problems.  I also relate solving problems to real life away from math and give personal examples.  Yes, your probably sick of reading this phrase by now, this will also be a talking point in a later post.  The number ONE rule to problem solving is focus on what you know and believe and then ask questions you can answer and keep doing that until you answer the question being asked.

I have these four posters in the front of my room and continually teach different aspects from each.  I am learning every day and routinely get up on a desk to write a new skill or strategy on one of my posters.  My goal for myself and all my students is: To relentlessly and unconditionally love, encourage and challenge all of my students to learn and grow.  I need and seek God's help to do this.  I fail every day...but the really cool thing is, I get to try again the next day.
"I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me!"

Day 2

1 comment:

  1. I put up posters and quotes in my classroom too! Much of the time they serve to ground me in the face of "daily drama." When I feel my eyes rolling back into my head (acting like the teens I teach --not good) then I see one of those visual reminders to myself and my breathe slows down and I can move forward with some focus. And of course they are wonderful for reinforcing the big picture for our students. I'm looking forward to reading your future posts.

    ReplyDelete