Saturday, December 21, 2013

Clarification, Tears and Homework

My students recently took a test and many did well but there were about 5 in each class that didn't.  As I'm grading their tests, I'm rooting for them.  I am excited for the students that do well, especially when they haven't before.  I'm excited for the students that show tremendous improvement.  I am saddened for the students that do poorly.

I walked around and showed each student their test score from my grade book.  I always interview the students that received an 'A' and/or improved a lot, by asking them, in front of the class, what were the main reasons they got such a good grade.  I simply let the successful students tell me and their classmates what Learning Skills they felt were the most helpful to them.  This is such a powerful time of debriefing after a test as we get ready to start a new chapter.  It helps all students to pick a few skills to focus on in the next chapter that will help them improve and/or be successful.  They look for to this!!!

I had one student bring me to tears during this interview process.  I'll call this student Charlie.  Charlie has historically been a poor math student.  Charlie told me and her classmates about her parent's reaction to the news of how she did on the test.  Her description was vivid and I found myself, 'watching' the events through my minds eye.  The joy, relief, praise, hugs, congratulations and words of encouragement, that Charlie described to all of us, that were given to her by her parents, overwhelmed me with emotions. I was suddenly impacted by a deep sense or responsibility, joy and gratitude.  These are peoples lives and these tests are often a very big deal not only to my students, but also to their parents.  

Today though, I felt the need to make a clarification.  I told all of my students that I wanted them to know that I cared about them regardless of their performance on the test.  I don't want any of my students to feel uncared for because they didn't do so well on the test.  I looked around the room as I spoke, making eye contact with all of my students.  I told them I want to demonstrate unconditional love to each of them.

Then I gave them their homework assignment for over the Christmas vacation.  I asked each of them to think about what is making it difficult to improve... I called these obstacles.  I told them that I needed their help in identifying these.  I also asked them to think about what their holes may be, if any.  These are places where bridges need to be built to get across because without them they seem to be impossibilities.  I told my students that so far I had been doing all of of diagnosing of obstacles and holes for the class as a whole.  NOW I NEEDED THEIR HELP TO GO FURTHER INDIVIDUALLY.  I need each of my students to help me help them.  I have seen a tremendous amount of improvement in many students and in my classes as a whole.  I am looking forward to the rest of the year.

'I CAN TEACH ALL OF MY STUDENTS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHEN ME.'

Day 20

No comments:

Post a Comment