Sunday, December 15, 2013

Self-esteem and discouragement

When I talk to my students I intentionally make sure they know I am talking with them and not at them.

Self-esteem is such an important idea to teach to students... and not just once.  I don't want my self-esteem to be based on what others think of me.  I don't want to give others that power over me.  I encourage my students, to not let their self-esteem be based on what other think of them.  A sad but common example is the girl that goes from boy friend to boy friend because her self-esteem is based on having a boy friend.  I don't want mine to be based on anything I do or have because I could lose the ability or the possession.  My self-esteem is based on nothing I do or have, it is based on my belief that GOD loves me and has plans for me.  Students that struggle with low self-esteem are more likely to disrespect themselves and others.  I tell my students they are fearfully and wonderfully made... they are not the product of time and chance.

I have feelings of discouragement sometimes.  I suppose everyone does at times.  I think it is important to have a system to combat feelings of discouragement.  Again, I am taken right back to my belief that GOD loves me and has plans for me.  When I feel discouraged, it isn't because either of those things have changed.  It happens when I get my eyes on myself and things aren't going like I planned they would.  When I sense those feelings in me, I go through a sort of mental check list.  First, have I done something wrong?... do I need to confess and ask for forgiveness?  Second, am I doing my best?... am I doing a poor job at something?  Third, am I being self-centered?  When I get discouraged it is always because I am being self-centered and because I am not simply trusting GOD with my hopes, plans, dreams, desires, health, relationships, skills, talents and anything else.  I am the most joyful when my eyes are the least on me... when I am focused on the needs of others... when I am seeking to be filled with GOD's love and grace and wisdom, so I can love others.  I believe I am to love GOD first, love other second and love myself third. The world is filled with messages to do the exact opposite.  I am not telling anyone what to do.  I am simply saying what I do.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Day 14

No comments:

Post a Comment