Thursday, December 12, 2013

Five levels of understanding (Last 2)

I am finishing what I started yesterday.

The forth level of understanding is I CAN DO THIS.  At the swimming pool, this would be the person that can jump in the pool and swim anywhere without any life jacket or water wings.  In my class, this is the student that can do the math without any notes.  By focusing all of my students on getting to level 3 quickly, they are then simply PRACTICE away from getting to level 4.  I want to teach my students the skills needed to learn new material quickly.  Successful students are very good at getting to level 4 quickly.  I continually encourage my students to use more and more of the Learning Skills that are posted at the front of my class.  I know I need to intentionally, routinely encourage and exhort my students to improve their learning skills.  I'll give strategies, in detail about how I do this, tomorrow.

The fifth level of understanding is I CAN DO THIS AND I CAN HELP OTHERS LEARN TO DO THIS.  At the swimming pool, this is the life guard.  In math class it is not just me.  I encourage my strong students to expand their influence and reach out to their neighbor and try to help them.  After each chapter, I make a new seating chart.  I sit a strong student next to a struggling one.  They are called neighbors.  I do share pair often and encourage students to check with their neighbor and make sure they both understand the material.  I need my strong students to help their neighbors learn and succeed.  I tell my classes that I need their help.  It is my job to teach.  It is each of my student's job to learn.  I simply ask my strong students to help me and most of them are happy to help their classmates.  THE BEST WAY TO LEARN IS TO TEACH.

I had a student, I had taught and coached 3 years ago, come by to talk to me.  I'll call him Bob.  He came by to thank me for my impact on his life.  He spoke very kind words to me and I cried.  It is very humbling to have a person take time out of their busy schedule, simply to come by and say that they appreciated you.  Bob told me that I had a positive impact on his walk with the LORD.  Along with being a successful HS student, Bob is also currently involved in ministry with his church.  He shared with me that he recently worked at a weekend church retreat and led a student to the LORD.  As a Christian, there is no cooler thing than being involved in someone getting SAVED.  I told him that he was the ultimate LIFE GUARD.  Before he left, I prayed for Bob and then Bob prayed for me.  I encouraged Bob to love the kids he works with relentlessly and unconditionally.  As brief as it was, I am still very moved by our conversation, prayer and time together.  I am humbled and grateful!!

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!"

Day 12

No comments:

Post a Comment