Friday, December 27, 2013

Phone Home

I started having students call home whenever they had missing homework a long time ago.  This did not seem to have much of an affect on homework completion.  A few years ago, I took this up a few notches.  I now have my students call home on speaker phone.

The first year I did this, the first time a student had to call... it was AWESOME!!!

It took a couple of weeks until I got my first volunteer.  I can't remember her name, but I remember it was third period and she sat in the third seat of the fourth row.  I was walking around checking my student's homework as they were doing the warm up problems at the beginning of class.  When I got to (I'll call her) Sally, she didn't have hers.  I told her she needed to call home on speaker phone.  She told me that her mother had just gotten out of the hospital last night and that was why she wasn't able to get her homework completed.  I asked how her mom was doing and she told me she was doing fine.

Then, to her horror, I told her again to call home on speaker phone.  You see, I tell my students that there is NO EXCUSE for not having their homework done.  I have heard and read lots of good ones.  I will not decide which are good and not good enough.  Missing homework is a zero and a phone call.

Well, she walked over to the phone and pushed the speaker button and then we all heard her dial the numbers.  It rang a few times and then her mom answered.  Sally quickly told her mom she was calling on speaker phone from my class.  Everyone was listening... I MEAN REALLY LISTENING!

Then Sally explained why she was calling and her mom went into a firm little lecture on the importance of doing homework.  The mom told Sally she was very disappointed.  The mom reminded Sally that this was a problem last year and hoped that this would not be a problem this year.  The mom reminded Sally that she had asked her last night if Sally had any homework and that Sally had told her,"No."

During that time, ALL OF MY STUDENTS HAD THEIR HEADS DOWN.  There was such a thick sense of, I DO NOT WANT THIS TO HAPPEN TO ME, in the class... you could taste it.

The word vicarious was being defined to each student.  After the phone call, I asked the class what the word vicarious meant.  I explained what the word meant and everyone understood.  It was powerful!!

I had students talking about it as they came in to my classes later in the day.  I had teachers asking me about it days and weeks later.  A few weeks later, during Open House, I was explaining my homework policy to my parents.  As I was describing the events of that first phone call to my parents of my 3rd period class, I noticed a mom smiling an unusual way.  I gave her my full attention and she announced to everyone that she was the mom.  I TOLD HER THAT SHE DID GREAT!!  Everyone agreed and all thanked me for the policy!

Months later, I was told by my principal that I had to drop the speaker calling from my homework policy.  I asked, "Why?"  The principal told me that she had received 3 complaints that day from different parents.  I asked her to tell me what they were.

Complaint #1   "My child is embarrassed when calling home on speaker phone."  I told my principal that the student should do her homework and then there wouldn't be any embarrassment... my principal agreed.

Complaint #2  "My child is embarrassed when everyone listens to us talking on speaker phone during class and frankly I don't like it either."  I told my principal that the parent should not carry on a conversation with their child on speaker in my class.  I told her that the parent should simply say, "OK, we'll talk when you get home."  I told my principal that I coached my students about this and encouraged them to have a conversation with their parents about this.  I always remind my students to tell their parents that they are talking on speaker phone.  My principal agreed.

Complaint #3  " I am concerned that my child will listen to a parent swear at their child, over the speaker, during one of these conversations."  I had nothing... then I asked if it was OK if the student turned off the speaker phone after the introductions... she agreed.

That is where my policy is now.  I think it is very important for parents to know when their student is not getting their work done.  I leave all discipline about this up to the parents.  The speaker phone is necessary because many students will fake like they are calling home or will simply call a wrong number.  The speaker phone removes all doubt and trickiness.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!"

Day 27

No comments:

Post a Comment