Thursday, December 19, 2013

Successes and failures

About a month ago I gave a test to my Algebra students.  I had a few of my lab students fail the test miserably.  I decided that I needed to change the way I graded my Lab classes.  The class is pass/fail and the students were all going to pass as long as they tried.  I realized that my Lab students needed to earn their pass... not get a pass for simply showing up and 'trying'.

I told my student that from now on they will be given a quiz on Mon, Wed, and Fri.  at the end of each day.  The quizzes will be over review material and the students can use notes.  I told them that they have to pass at least half of their quizzes to pass the class.  At first most of my students failed these quizzes, however, after about 3 of them, they have been doing great.  All of my Lab students are passing Lab and they are earning their grade.  The quizzes are over material they are doing in their regular class.  It is my goal that they learn enough of the strategies, skills and concepts on the four posters, that they are successful in their regular math class this year and in the future.  It is also my goal that they learn enough to be successful in all of their classes this year and in the future.  It is also my goal that they learn enough to be successful when they are finished with school.

I WANT THEM TO SUCCEED AT LIFE.

I have a student, I'll call Bob, who got a grade in the low 40s on the last test.  This student passed every quiz, in Lab, during this chapter.  I was very hopeful that Bob would do well on this test they just took.  He got a grade in the upper 70s!!!  I SAT THERE WITH GOOSE BUMPS ALL OVER MY BODY WHEN I FINISHED GRADING HIS TEST.  I was so happy for him.  Bob demonstrated tremendous improvement.  When I told Bob the score he received, he was disappointed!  I was very surprised by his reaction at first.  But then I was embarrassed that I was surprised... Bob was simply doing a great job of aiming high and trying his best and believing he could do well.  Bob was following my directions.  I encouraged and complemented him on his improvement.  I then encouraged Bob to aim for an A on the next test.  He smiled.  I told Bob that I saw him as a successful math student.  I asked Bob if he saw himself as one now.  He smiled again and nodded 'YES!'

GOOSE BUMPS!!!

I graded another students test, who I also have in Lab, and this student got his first A.  He had gotten Cs and Ds on his other tests.  I was so happy for him, proud of his growth and improvement and grateful for this humbling responsibility of a vocations that is called TEACHING.

I LOVE MY JOB!!

I get to see kids grow and have a part in helping young people change, learn and succeed.  I pray every day for my students.  I ask God to help me improve as a teacher.  I ask God to help me be the best teacher I can be for HIS glory and my joy and their success.  I desperately want to stay humble and always and only seek to glorify HIM and not myself.  I cling to the promise, "I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me!"  As a teacher... I paraphrase this verse to... I CAN TEACH ALL STUDENTS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHENS ME!!

I had 2 of my Lab students, that I also have in regular Algebra, fail this recent test.  I feel bad for them.  I know they tried.  I feel like I have failed them.  I know I need to encourage them, love them, motivate them, exhort them, believe in them regardless of how they do on a test.  I WANT ALL MY STUDENTS TO KNOW THAT I CARE ABOUT THEM AND BELIEVE IN THEM.  If they change and/or when they change does not matter.  The value I show I have for them should not matter on what they do or don't do.  I want and need to demonstrate love for them unconditionally.  Perfect love casts out all fears and opens the doors to change and growth.  The problem is, I fail every day at this.   But the exciting this is, I get to try again tomorrow!!

Day 19

No comments:

Post a Comment