Monday, April 21, 2014

Respect

At school, I have been confronted more and more with students demonstrating poor respect for themselves and others.  I am so disappointed by the large number of adults at our school that allow students to regularly lie to them and/or break school rules expecting nothing to be done about it and usually not being disappointed.

This idea of respect and integrity is foreign to so many young people and has simply not been expected, let alone required, by the adults at our school.  These are character traits I teach and encourage in my class, but it sure feels like many adults at our school accept and expect the opposite from students.

Education 101 is respect.  Respect yourself.  Students do this by doing their best.  Respect others.  Students demonstrate this to teachers by listening and following direction.  Students demonstrate this to other students by treating fellow students kindly.  I am concerned about the lack of respect I am seeing at school.  

Respect and integrity will be a major focus of my teaching in these remaining weeks for this year.

Day 124

1 comment:

  1. I am right there with you! I find it very disappointing. But I am even more disappointed as it seems a disease even amongst Christian parents. Signs of the times I think.

    ReplyDelete