Friday, April 11, 2014

The Ball Stuck on Lane 11 Story

A few weeks after almost getting killed by a bowling alley machine(See blog 114), I was so thankful that a ball got stuck on lane 11 at the bowling alley I worked at.

I had been the object of ridicule for about 2 weeks at work.  My coworkers, rightfully so and in a friendly way, relentlessly teased me about getting eaten by a machine at work.  It was a Saturday afternoon and I was working at the bowling alley.  My friend, who also worked there and had gotten me my job there, was also there... he was always there.  The place was crowded.  Every lane was being used.  Then, over the loud speaker from the front desk, came those glorious words, "Ball stuck on lane 11."

It was a command given to me to go over to lane 11 and fix the problem.  I walked over there and was met by my friend and coworker, who by the way was off duty.  My friend, 'John,' got down on his hands and knees and deftly pulled out a section of the approach on lane 11 that was right over where the bowling balls return under the lane.  Then he did the inexplicable.  He bent over and stuck his head down in the dark hole.  I just stood there in amazement and thought, 'No way am I going to stick my head down in that hole!'

Within a few seconds of 'John' doing what I thought was the unthinkable, I heard a thud and 'John' immediately sprawled out flat on his belly on the approach.  A bowling ball had violently hit him in the head and knocked him out.  I had never seen anyone get knocked out before and I did what I believe most any good friend and coworker would do... I collapsed next to him, lying on my back in convulsive laughter with flowing tears of hilarity.  I laid there for quite a while laughing spastically, with my friend laying on his belly, knock out, while his head was still down in the hole.  Strangers were awkwardly still bowling around us.  Suddenly, the thought occurred to me, 'Is John OK?'  I rolled over to my knees and grabbed John by the back of his belt and yanked him backwards, dragging him out of the hole.  He was still out cold.  He had a golf ball sized lump on is head.  Drool was flowing from his mouth.

Just like I had seen in countless westerns, I gave him a few firm smacks on the side on his face to awaken him.  It worked!  He groggily awoke and my short lived concern was swallowed up by laughter again.  I flopped over on my side next to him laughing hard.  After a few minutes we both pulled ourselves together.  I replaced the section of the lane approach and we walked away from the area.  John left and I continued to work that day.  I did not receive another ribbing from my coworkers, about being eaten by a machine, from that moment on.

Whenever I hear the words, "Ball stuck on lane ___, " I smile and remember the fun times I had at that job.

Day 116

2 comments:

  1. LOL awesome!!! Todd and I had some good laughs over this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayed for you yesterday. Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete