Monday, April 14, 2014

Ugly Skill

I had hernia surgery last Thursday, so I was out Thursday and Friday.  I was back at school today and heard from my students that both subs didn't know math and were not helpful.  I also heard from a few students that some of my students demonstrated poor behavior.  I tried hard to prepare them for my absence and made my expectations very clear.

Today I talked to them about the ugly skill we all have of finding a reason to treat others poorly.  The Nazis killed millions of Jews and most of them slept well each night.  A woman will convince herself that she has the right to 'terminate' her unwanted pregnancy... although often she will be haunted by guilt and regret afterwards.

Many students see a substitute as an excuse to be disrespectful and not try.  I challenged my students to resist looking for reasons to treat others poorly.  We are really good at finding them.  It is simply wrong, selfish and destroys relationships.

Day 119

No comments:

Post a Comment