Saturday, April 12, 2014

The Share Story

Around our house, one of the worst phrases our kids can say is, "That's not fair."  They learned pretty quickly not to say it.

This happened when our oldest kids were 6, 4 and 2.  We had just moved into a new house.  I walked outside to see what they were doing.  As the door opened, I was greeted by a loud shrieking wail coming from all three of our children.  They had surrounded a plastic tricycle and symotaneously decided to ride it.  All three of them had a death grip on the poor thing and were bent on ripping it from the other two.  Each of their precious little faces were beat red and twisted in fierce wrath.  Occasionally one would let go with one hand to quickly try to quickly hit one of the other two selfish siblings to free their grip from the tricycle.

I was shocked.  I couldn't believe my eyes.  Our three angelic children were behavior like a ravenous pack of hyenas fighting over a fresh kill.

I yelled, "Hey!" as I marched towards them and the once ravenous pack of hyenas instantly turned into a confused, quiet and stammering little group of kids.  As I walked up they suddenly each started telling me that it was their turn to ride the tricycle and the wailing started to commence again.

When I got to them, without a word, I reached down and firmly grabbed the tricycle.  With one hand, I lifted it in the air and briefly looked to make sure no one was still hanging on.  Then I pivoted and tossed it onto the roof on the garage.  I turned again and without a word gave my three children a quick stare.  They stood there motionless and speechless.  Without a word, I walked back inside the house.

A few days later, I spotted my three lovely children fighting over something else.  I walked over and calmly asked if they needed me to solve the problem.  With instantaneous good will, they each insisted the other play first.  I smiled and walked away.

The tricycle remained on the roof of the garage for about 3 weeks.

Day 117

1 comment: