Saturday, February 22, 2014

Community

My mom's memorial service was today.  It was very nice.  About 200 family and friends showed up and there were many kind things said about my mom.  My mom had struggled with her health for the past 8 years with a stroke, CLL, breast cancer and a back surgery.  She needed help from changing a light bulb to changing a dressing.  The room was filled with so many people who had helped my mom and in the process been helped.  I believe that blessings run both ways.  When we help someone there is a blessing we receive in the process that often is hard to quantify.  Jesus said, "In as much as you have done it unto the least of your brethren, you have do it unto me."  My mom's physical limitations gave so many people the opportunity to love her and be blessed as a result.  It was a beautiful thing today to go from table to table, after the service, to thank those who showed up and listen to them tell me what my mom meant to them.  Many of these people had been so helpful and responsible in helping mom stay in her home, yet they all saw my mom as the hero.  I saw community.  I saw love.  I saw acceptance.  Life is all about relationships.  The most important is the one with Jesus Christ.  Then with His love, our relationships with family and friends.

Love people and use things... don't get these mixed up.

Day 74

No comments:

Post a Comment