Friday, February 14, 2014

Right is right

Recently a follow math teacher had a student cheat on a test.  Several of us math teacher discussed what we thought the consequences should be.  It got me thinking.  In the last major election, our state legalized 'things' that had previously been illegal.  As a society, this is now how we decide what is right or wrong.  We have lost our moral compass as a society.  We used to decide by what the Bible said.  Now we vote.  When I was growing up, my parents had a saying... "Right is right even if no one is doing it and wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it."

The worst thing someone can do now is say and/or believe that something is wrong.  Our society's highest virtue now is tolerance.

I talked to one of my classes about this.  I told them that cheating was wrong.  It would still be wrong even of they voted and they decided that it wasn't wrong.  I told them that they needed to decide how they were going to decide what is right or wrong.  The choices are the Bible or our society.  In Old Testament times, when Israel was at their worst, morally, the Bible describes them as, 'doing what was right in their own eyes.'  

I want my students to know that there is sin and that we all sin.  I want my students to know that we all struggle with selfishness and pride.  I want my students to know that they are NOT God.  They do not get to decide what is right or wrong.

Those ancient Israelites were burning their babies alive on stone alters trying to gain favor from false gods.  They were doing what they thought was right.  They were trying to be evil but they were being very evil!!!

When we walk away from God's Word, we are always on a path of destruction.   If there is no sin, then there will be no need for a Savior.  I want my students to know that they are sinners... then there is hope that they will get saved.

Day 63

No comments:

Post a Comment