Saturday, February 15, 2014

I'm not God

Years ago I went through a very difficult time.  Someone I knew hurt some of my family and friends and only got 4 months of jail time.  I was bitter.  It affected me in such a negative way.  There is a saying, "Bitterness is the only poison that destroys the vile that contains it."  It was destroying me and even worse it was destroying my relationships with those close to me.

This went on for about 6 months.  One day, I was driving with my wife and our three oldest kids(who were young) in the back seat.  I was at an intersection, waiting to turn left.  I looked over to my left and the driver who was also waiting to turn left looked very much like the PERSON I hated.  The light turned green and I started to roll forward to make my left turn.  I was trying to decide if it was him.  If it was, I was going to pop the emergency brake, jump out of my seat, pull him out of his car through his open window and beat the snot out him right their in front of my wife, kids and everyone else in the intersection.  I was creeping through the turn trying to decide if it was him, when suddenly wife gave my a firm little back hand across my right shoulder and asked me, "What are you doing?"  Before I could even answer, she looked past me at the other driver and quickly did the math and said, "What were you going to do?  Oh... were you going to stop the car and beat that guy up if it was _______? You are not God.  'Vengence is mine sayeth the LORD.'"

In 5 seconds, God used a total stranger, my wife's wisdom and HIS WORD to help snap me out of my bitterness.  I still would find myself sinking back into bitter feeling but when I realized I was, I would ask God to help me forgive.  I even prayed for him.  This helped me.  I forgave because God commands.  I forgave because He gave me the grace.  I forgave because I wanted to trust and obey Him.  I forgave because I knew it was the best thing for me.  I did not forgive because I  felt like it.  I did not forgive because _________ deserved forgiveness.

The Bible is so clear about the importance of forgiving others.  They don't have to ask for it or even deserve it.  We all need to forgive those that we need to... out of simple obedience, faith and grace.

Day 64

1 comment: