Thursday, February 27, 2014

The Donuts Affect

I'm down to 8 left to get a perfect test on linear functions in Algebra.  I finally had to initiate the DONUT affect.  I told each class that when everyone gets a perfect score on a perfect test in that class, I will bring in donuts for everybody.  It simply changed everything.  Those that have already been perfect are all of the sudden, very concerned and willing to help someone who is still needing to get 100.  Those who need to get 100, are suddenly willing to ask for and receive help from their classmates, to learn how to do the problems.

All 8 know how to do all of the problems.  I looked over all of their work and went over the problems with them and the mistakes they made.  These students also asked their peers for help and got it.  I am hopeful that very soon they ALL will have passed a perfect test on linear functions.  This was our student goal in Algebra and all of my students failed it in November, when they took their pre-test.  I think it would be very cool if all of them pass it at 100%.

YOU CAN'T DO ANY BETTER THAN HAVE 100% OF YOUR STUDENTS GET 100% ON A TEST THAT 100% OF THEM FAILED!!!

I am suppose to meet with my principal tomorrow for a mid year conference.  I hope to have only a few left that need to get 100%.

I also talked to my first period class and told them the same thing about their perfect test on solving and got the same reaction... excitement!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment