Friday, February 14, 2014

Bend your knee

My mom died tonight.  It feels so strange writing these words.

It has been hard watching her decline so fast.  She was told just 3 weeks and a day ago that she had lung cancer.  She was 77 years old and she wanted no sympathy.  She was a stoic, strong and fiercely independent woman.  I am left with my memories of her and only a hope that she is in heaven.

I am thankful for my mom.  These past weeks I was able to tell her repeatedly that the only thing that mattered was that she makes it to heaven.  I wasn't sure if she was a Christian.  I talked to her about Jesus and taking His hand.  I sang hymns to her.  She liked it when I did.  She had others do the same these past weeks.  I hope and pray she is with Jesus now.

Life is all about relationships.  The most important one is your relationship with Jesus.  The Bible says, "Every knee will bow and every tongue confess, that Jesus is LORD."   It is not a matter of IF you are going to bend your knee... it is when and where WILL you bend your knee.  Will it be here on earth in repentance and gratitude at salvation or will it be at the Judgement in shame, regret and horror.

I want to spend my life doing ALL I can to help others bend their knee here on earth.  It scares and convicts me to type the word ALL, because I know I haven't and I know that it will cost me.  I know I won't do ALL.  I will fail.  So I need to contend myself with doing more and more as God leads and gives me the grace, love, faith, courage and strength.

I plan to put a prayer request box on my desk this next week and offer to pray for any of my students needs.  I know this may get me in trouble, but I also know I have students with needs that only Jesus can meet.  I want and need to trust and obey.

Day 61

No comments:

Post a Comment