Sunday, March 9, 2014

Slave

I tell stories to my students once in a while.  They really like them... or maybe they just like the break from math.  Anyways... here is one of their favorites.

The summer before my 10th grade year, my brother and I were out at our parents beach place and we each had a friend out for the weekend.  We loved water skiing.  My brother was driving the boat and his friend was in the boat with him being the observer.  We were skiing down at this place we call The Point, which is out in Longbranch at the mouth of Filucy Bay.  Our parents were back at the cabin.  We had long since gained the trust of them with the boat.  We were a long ways out of their sight.

My friend was trying to get up on one ski(deep water start).  He had learn to get up on 2 skis and then drop one, but he hadn't learn yet how to get up on one.  Salt water around here is usually cold.  After several tries he had to give up.  My brother and his friend pulled him into the boat and then my brother punch the throttle full down and headed back towards the point, where I was waiting for my turn.

Before I go any further I want to ask a question of the reader.  'Have you ever walked on the beach and been overcome by the fear of being hit by a boat?'  Everybody I ask that question to always says, "No." and looks at me with a weird expression on their face like what kind of stupid question is that?  OK then... back to my story.

Meanwhile, I was standing ankle deep in the water so as to stop the boat from grinding against the beach when they get there.  I was looking out to my right and about 50 yards off shore a bunch of seagulls started diving into the water.  Herring were jumping out of the water.  I saw the tail fin of a large salmon flash out of the water throwing up a spray.  I even saw the head of a seal, pop up out of the water for a bit before it disappeared back under the water.  I was totally engrossed with what was going on.

Meanwhile...

My brother, who was trying to be cool and was not looking where he was going, and was counting on the reaction of his friend, who was looking, to determine when he should start slowing down.  Well... his friend had never been in a boat and come to find out later, he thought boats had brakes.  My brother's friend finally started looking anxious and my brother turned to see how close he was to shore. At the same time I got this creepy feeling that something was terribly wrong and the hair on the back of my neck stood up as I suddenly heard the sound of a ski boat approaching.  My adrenaline kicked in and I turned in slow motion to see my brother turn toward me.  I saw the look of horror on his face and I could read his lips as he reached for the throttle to pull it back, he said, "Oh no."

He was in a 16 feet ski boat with a 70HP motor on it.  He was going about 33 mph.  I know because that is the fastest it could go and my brother had it pegged.

All's I had time to do was say, "Mommy!" and start to hunker, because they were only about 15 feet away from me.

Then... impact, pain and darkness.

I believe in guardian angels... maybe we even get a few.  Or maybe that get to trade with other angels.  Anyways, my guardian angel sure took a beating that day.  The boat was clear out of the water.  In fact, it was about 10 ft from the shore line.  I was about 10 ft from the boat.  All this was up hill.  So lets do the math.  10 + 16 + 10 = 36...I flew uphill about 36 feet and didn't break a bone in my body!

I remember lying on my back in darkness only because my eyes were closed.  I could hear the whine of the motor and my brother quickly shutting it off.  Then he shook me and I opened my eyes and he said, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry.  Don't tell dad.  Don't tell dad.  Don't tell dad.  I'll do anything.  I'll do anything.  I'll do anything.  I'll be your slave."  He kept repeating this.

Well I couldn't breath, as I had the wind knocked out of me and I didn't even know how much of me was still attached to me.

About the third or fourth time threw his little panicked begging my breath returned and I sucked in glorious air as he said the wonderful word again... SLAVE.  You see, my brother was 2 years older than me... do I need to say anymore?

Now, I ignored him as I started my self-evaluation.  Lying on my back, I raised my arms up so I could see my hands.  The back of my right hand was bleeding a little.  It had been cut from the bow light.  I wiggled my fingers and moved my wrists and arms around and they worked!! I was so happy.  Now for my legs.  I didn't know if they were still their.  I wiggled my toes, but I'd heard that amputees would 'wiggle' their toes.  So I sat up and there they were.  I WAS OK!!

My brother was still babbling, but now that I knew I was OK, I turned to him and said, "I am Ok.  I will not tell dad.  And YES, you are my slave!"

It was one of the best thing that had ever happened to me.  To have your older brother as your slave?... it was great.  I only had him do one thing.  Every night we watched TV as a family and had a bowl of ice cream.  I would wait for the best part of the best show and then 'ask' my brother for some ice cream, with Nestles Powdered Chocolate mix made into a thick syrup put over the top.  And every night he would look back at me like 'dream on little brother.'  I would raise my eye brows and tilt my head angelically and suddenly he would remember and off he would stomp to get me my ice cream.  It was beautiful.  It lasted for about 16 months until I did something wrong and that was the first thing he said was, "It is over! I am not your slave anymore!"

There is a verse in the Bible, Romans 8:28, "All things work together for good, to those who are called, according to His purpose."  In this life, we will have difficult times.  But God is always on His throne.  He never stops loving us.  He wants us to trust Him even in the midst of a difficult situation.

Day 95

No comments:

Post a Comment