Saturday, March 8, 2014

Pick One

In Algebra we finished Ch. 7 on Thursday.  We started Ch. 8 on Friday.  Whenever we start a new chapter, I make it a habit of interviewing, in front of everyone, those students that did well or improved a lot.  I ask them what were the two main reasons they did well.  They tell me and everyone else, what they thought were the most important behavior things they did that helped them do well.  I call these Learning Skills(see Poster).  I have them listed up in the front of my class.  I think it is way more powerful when students tell students what helps them learn... rather than me.

Then I asked them all to pick one Learning Skill, that they don't use very much or ever, that they think would be easy to start doing and would have the biggest impact on their learning.  I let them think about this for a bit.  Then I asked them to tell their neighbor what Learning Skill they want to start using regularly.  I asked them to encourage each other about it and hold each other accountable.

There is so much room for improvement for all of my students.  I encourage them to not get overwhelmed by all the Learning Skills they need to improve on and do nothing.  It is best to pick the one they think will be the easiest to start doing and the most beneficial to their learning.

It is very empowering to them.  It is important to be able to self-evaluate.  As a Christian, I want to be good at knowing what I did well and what I need to change and/or avoid.  I seek wisdom and the guidance on the Holy Spirit through God's Word.

Day 94

No comments:

Post a Comment