Wednesday, March 5, 2014

FOUR LEFT

Today I had another of my struggling students get a perfect score on a linear functions test.  He has tried about 7 times and failed every time.  The persistence, determination, humility and effort required to get to the place of excellence when coming from a place of failure is so rewarding.  I'll call him Chuck.  Chuck was so happy when I told him he made it.  He beamed.  A classmate quickly congratulated him and so did I as we 'high fived'.  I told him to get a piece of tape.  Chuck smiled as he got his tape and took his test to the back of the room to tape up on the wall with all the others who have made it.

It is so awesome to see a struggling student achieve at a high level.  I believe success is very helpful in breeding success.  Chuck thanked me a few times when I told him how he did.  I told him I was very proud of him.  I told him, "Thank you for your effort and persistence. You should be proud of yourself."  

I only have 4 left... Sara and 3 others.  When an entire class has gotten perfect, I will bring them donuts.  One class needs 2 more to pass.  Two other classes only need one student more in each to get perfect.  They have to get perfect to pass... although, now after 5 tries, if a student makes one mistake, I let them fix it if they can.

I want all of my students to achieve at a high level... and not only can they... I am seeing them do it.

Praise God.

Day 89

1 comment:

  1. donuts? Not almond roca? how about bagels? or even chocolate cheesecake?
    are they still accepting enrollments for your class?
    Seriously, this is another awesome success story. Way to surrender yourself and let God work through you.

    ReplyDelete