Wednesday, March 5, 2014

High Fives

I love seeing a student succeed... especially one that has struggled and perseveres!  It is such a cool thing to see.

As I have written in previous blogs, I am giving perfect tests on linear functions in my Algebra classes. They have to get a perfect score to pass, otherwise they have to try again.  I give them a different test each time and go over their mistakes with them.  Also, fellow students are helping these remaining students to understand and learn from their mistakes.

Today I had 2 students pass!  They were very proud and happy.  Their friends and classmates smiled and congratulated them on their achievement.  These students have failed the test several times by now and have not given up but rather have persisted and succeeded... BEAUTIFUL.  There is no better success than one that comes after repeated failures.  To see students achieve at a high level when there was no hope... it is simply humbling and a deep joy.

I have only FIVE students left to pass.  THEY WILL ALL MAKE IT!!!  I know they will and can't wait for it to actually happen.  I have already had one class were they all passed, and they all got donuts.  I will bring in donuts to each class as they all pass.  They are very excited because it is down to just one or two left in each class left now.

I want to give hope to the hopeless... it is such a privilege, responsibility, challenge and joy.  To give real hope, I need to give them real tools to succeed.  That is why I try to teach them as much as I can from my 4 posters (see Posters).  I am not trying to sell anything here.  I am simply saying that this is what I do...  I teach the ideas, strategies, skills, and behaviors on the posters so they can learn the math.

Day 86

2 comments:

  1. Hello..This a great platform to share your passion for what you do. And this is a great testimony of giving hope to the hopeless. I will enjoy reading your blogs because they are a great example of what a teacher should be. And know that someone in Tacoma is praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Awesome. I wish I had a math teacher like you when I was taking math.
    You wouldn't be interested in possibly adopting me, would you? LOL

    ReplyDelete