Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Folly

Sara, the student I've written about in previous blogs, is having a hard time in chapter 8.  She's been absent a few days, she isn't getting it, she isn't following directions and she isn't asking for help from anyone.  It is like she is slipping back into old patterns.  I want to help her so much, but she is resistant to it again now.  I thought we were past this.  I thought when she got in the 70s on her chapter 7 test she would simply keep improving.

There is the danger of expectation... it rips at your soul and hurts.  I need to get back to the place of hope... where love is.  Here, it is painless.  Here, I can try fresh and new every day and it doesn't matter what she does.  I have to do my best regardless of what my students do and in fact because of what many of my students do.

Sara is not the only one, I have several struggling students, especially in my first period class.  I have to simply keep trying to reach them.  I also have to keep trying to reach, teach and appreciate all of my other students.  I struggle with focusing on the lost ones.  I have to do both at the same time.

"As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool returns to his folly."  These struggling students remind me of this verse.  Help me Lord to love, encourage, exhort, challenge and teach ALL of my students relentlessly and unconditionally... it is so hard.  I can not do it without Your love, grace and wisdom.

Day 104

No comments:

Post a Comment