Thursday, March 13, 2014

Challenges

I recently had a meeting after school with the parents of a struggling student of mine.  We first met without the student present.  I talked about the importance of their student being more and more responsible and respectful.  They both smiled and agreed.  I talked about the importance of their student honoring them, and using that desire to honor, to steer the decisions and choices that will be made.  They smiled and agreed.  I talked about the importance of them being united in the decisions they make as parents.  They agreed.  I talked about the importance of their student growing in looking for ways to succeed and turning from looking for reasons to fail.  They totally agreed.

Then we had their student come in and I was so disappointed to watch their student argue, interrupt, refuse to take responsibility, and even say harsh words.  The student eventually got up and walked out of the  meeting.

I turned to the parents and told them they needed to be united and start punishing disrespectful and irresponsible behaviors.  I told them that that was the worst demonstration of respect I've ever seen in a meeting by a student.

I am praying for them.

I want to love, encourage, exhort, challenge and motivate all of my students relentlessly and unconditionally.  I do not want to judge.  I want to speak the truth in love.  I kept asking the parents if what I was saying was OK with them.  I was simply giving Biblical advice.  I tried to share Biblical principles with them throughout our meeting.

One of the most loving things we can do as parents and teachers is discipline our children/students when they need it.  One of the most hateful things we can do is ignore and/or even encourage poor behavior.

I have to work with the students I have.  I have little to no control over their parents and the most challenging student often come from homes where there are challenges.

Day 99


No comments:

Post a Comment