Wednesday, March 12, 2014

No small problems

I have been frustrated with the behavior of several students in the hallway... no, what really has frustrated me is how we as a staff have handled poor behavior in the hallway.

I've expressed my concerns and frustrations with every administrator and even our security person, but none of them have done anything to fix the problem.  Quite to the opposite, what they have done has only made the problem worse.  Asking a student to move along or stop blocking the hallway is not effective when they are still blocking the hallway in March.

I recently talked with a person of authority at our school and expressed my concern about this problem.  He told me that 'In the big picture, this was really a pretty small problem.'

I SAW RED.

 I told him that when small problems are not handled correctly they become big problems.  Anyways, are meeting was unfruitful in my opinion.  I saw him today and apologized for venting my frustration to him.  He forgave me and then we had a great conversation.

I told him that if we handled this problem correctly, we would not still have this problem.  We have been training our worst students to brake school rules.  It was our responsibility to train all students to respect themselves and others.  We have not been doing this.  We have to expect all students to be able to follow rules and be respectful.  We can not have rules we beg students to follow and never give consequences for when some don't.  When a student knowingly brakes a rule, it is now open defiance.

Anyways, today he listened to me, heard me and agreed with me.  I told him I would go out in the hall and give consequences for braking rules if I wasn't the only one doing that.  I told him that it was important for all of us to give out consequences... no more warnings.

We need to train and expect all students to demonstrate respect for others.  It is time to act like there is a new sheriff in town!!

Day 97

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed this blog.. I believe it truly applies to parenting as well. My kids respect me more when I follow through with them when they have done something wrong instead of be passive. They actually call me on it when I don't follow through with the consequenses..They need it as much as we don't want to give it. Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete