Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Debrief

After we got back from Christmas vacation, I had my students write their responses to the following questions.

Q#1  What are you doing well that is helping you to learn?
Q#2  What do you need to do or do better to help you do a better job of learning?
Q#3  What do I need to do, to help you do a better job of learning?

I asked my students to put their names on their papers and I promised to read them and be open to the suggestions.

I was very pleased with their thoughtfulness and honesty.  I made a list of their suggestions and read them to my students the next day.  I have being trying to implement many of their suggestions because I believe that they will be helpful.  My students are thankful for my openness to their suggestions.  I always tell them that WE(not you) need to be open to change and growth... so I simply want to live what I speak.

I received many words of encouragement and praise for which I am humbled and thankful.  I had a few students write such heartfelt word or thanks to me, that I cried reading them.  I had one student write, 'This was the first time it felt like a teacher cared about her.'  I had a few students write notes of frustration and despair as they have been trying but not doing nearly as well as they would have liked to.  I have talked to these students and I'm planning to give them more one on one help in the weeks and months ahead.

I always try to do some kind of debriefing activity at the start of a new chapter.  I want my students to develop self-evaluation skills and set goals for the upcoming chapter.

Day 39

No comments:

Post a Comment