Saturday, January 25, 2014

Struggling

I am very excited about teaching.  I am learning more and more this year about teaching all of my students.  We just finished first semester.  I had one student get an F.  This student was not in Lab first semester but will be next semester.  I am hopeful that all of my students will get at least a C next semester.  I will need the help of my successful students to take some responsibility for teaching, encouraging, exhorting, and motivating their neighbor.  I will need all of my students to continue to seek to improve in as many areas as they can(see Posters).

I think it is so important to not give up on any of my students.  I hear other teachers tell me they have and/or they don't know how to motivate their low students.  I am struggling with knowing what to say... if any, and to not judge.  I don't want to come across as a know-it-all.  I don't want to offer advice when none is wanted.  WHAT I AM DOING WORKS... and no one wants to listen.

I am not writing to anyone 'out there,' I am simply writing to myself.  I have no expectation of changing other teachers.  I have lots of hope of changing my students.  'Changed hearts change lives.'  I am going to make this into a poster and put up on one of my walls.  For there to be any significant improvement in one of my students, there will need to be a change in their heart.  The heart is where their beliefs and desires are.  My students attitudes, efforts and behaviors are a byproduct of what is in each of their hearts.  When positive changes in their hearts occur, I'll see positive changes in their attitudes and actions.  I pour out my heart and soul to my students day after day in the hopes of changing their hearts.  If I am going to have any influence or impact on other teachers, shouldn't the same be true... shouldn't I need lots of time to pour out my heart and soul to a teacher to have a chance of changing their heart?

I guess this is the place where that could happen, but I am only getting around 4-5 views a day the past few weeks.  I constantly check my pride about this.  I want to glorify God and not myself.  Pride stalks me.  It is easy to not be prideful when no one cares what I am doing.  I prayed 2 summers ago that God would help me to be so successful at teaching that people would ask me what I was doing.  Then I would be able to tell them about how God loves us relentlessly and unconditionally and that I was challenged by God to do the same with my students.  It is impossible for me to do this.  I fail every day, but "In my weakness His strength is made perfect."  I NEED GOD'S LOVE TO FLOW THROUGH ME TO EACH OF MY STUDENTS.  I am NOTHING without His love... but with it... all's I see are wonderful possibilities for each of my students.

I know from my own experiences, it is hard to change and I resist it... so of course other teachers will have a hard time being open to what I have to say, because it would require a change of their HEART.

Day 56

No comments:

Post a Comment