Monday, January 20, 2014

Safe

I was talking with a friend recently and they shared their concerns about their children's math teachers.  I was told that both of their children's math teachers were grumpy, impatient, rude and intimidating.  I was sad to here how one negative event in a class could cause a lasting negative impact.

I use to be that kind of teacher.  I am still struggling with not being that kind of teacher.

I NEED TO DO ALL I CAN TO HELP MY STUDENTS IN MY CLASS FEEL SAFE AND STILL FEEL ACCOUNTABLE.

Each of my students need to feel safe in my class.
Each of my students need to feel accountable to learn.

These two needs wage war with each other.  I could tell the shy or struggling student that I will never call on them and make they feel very safe... but they would lose their sense of accountability.

I could randomly call on any student and require them to go to the front of the room to do a problem without any help and make them all feel accountable... but they would lose their sense of safety.

They need both... safety and accountability.

I will brain storm with my classes to arrive at a place where both of these are occurring... stay tuned.

Day 51

No comments:

Post a Comment