Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Meta

Another behavior of intelligence is metacognition.  This is the habit of thinking about your own thinking.  It is such an important habit because this habit enables each of us to consciously decide what to do next.  Without this habit, we are left with saying, "Oops." or "I didn't know how to do it." or "I couldn't do it." or "I thought I knew how to do it." or "I can't believe I got that wrong."

This is the decision making center.  This is the place where we decide which other habits of the mind and/or problem solving strategies we will need to use to solve a problem and know we got it right.

I encourage my students to not just think about their own thinking but also their own actions, beliefs, expectations and behaviors.  Also I routinely challenge my students to think about and reevaluate their own level of commitment in each of these areas.

Day 31

No comments:

Post a Comment