Thursday, January 2, 2014

Thinking Interdependently

Thinking interdependently is another Habit of the Mind(see Lee Canter).  In this behavior, the student puts the team first.  The student works with and learns from other students.  The focus is we not me.

I have had a hard time with this when the groups are bigger than 2.  I like share pair but I see and hear too much off task communication with larger groups.  I keep trying groups of 3 to 4 but I'm almost always disappointed with the results.  I have lots of room for improvement here.

I see my successful students do a good job of helping in Share Pairs but I often see these same successful students lose their focus and socialize too much with others when the groups become 3 or 4.  The successful students can afford to fall off task because they already know how to do it, but the lower students can not afford to fall off task.

I challenge all of my students to have this, "not me but we," attitude.  The successful students can be a big help to the class as they help their Share Pair partner.  The key is getting each pair to ask for and receive help from each other.  To do this, there needs to be honesty, routine communication and selflessness.  Hence, the struggle... but I keep providing opportunities.

I continue to look and hope for improvement.

Day 33

No comments:

Post a Comment